Talking About a Little Place Called Aspen: CBC Aspen Experience 2018
Aspen is an iconic American ski town for a reason. With sun shining overhead and powder underfoot, champagne flowing like water and cowboy hats always on trend, there really is no other ski destination that can match it.
This March, CBC hosted a group of eight editors at our Aspen Experience, immersing them in the non-stop action of America’s chicest mountain town. Check out our travel guide below to see where we stayed, what we did, and how we ate and drank our way through Aspen, Colorado.
Where to Stay
Our group of travel, food and fitness editors were hosted for the weekend by The Gant, a luxurious condo resort located steps away from the center of downtown. Everyone took advantage of the on-site fitness center and breakfast café, while fully embracing the cozy mountain lifestyle in beautifully furnished condos complete with wood-burning fireplaces.
Pro Tip: Recover from a day of crushing black diamonds with a soak in The Gant’s outdoor hot tub.
While The Gant served as our home base, editors were also able to check out The Limelight Hotel for an evening of fireside appetizers and drinks, as well as the iconic Hotel Jerome’s breathtaking Living Room bar.
What to Do
Day one on the slopes kicked off with an early morning stop to the Obermeyer headquarters. After previewing the upcoming season’s line of outerwear and a lively tour with living legend Klaus Obermeyer, everyone was inspired to push themselves to the limit on the mountain – Klaus’ energy and passion for snow was contagious!
Next, the group headed to Snowmass to be fitted for rental skis and snowboards, outfitted in the latest gear from Obermeyer, Hestra, Zeal, Krimson Klover and Sportube.
Over the course of the next three days, our group took in everything that Aspen’s peaks had to offer, from experiencing lessons with expert ski instructors, taking park laps on Snowmass, and slashing powder turns on Highlands. Our final day was picture-perfect with access to first tracks on Aspen Mountain’s meticulous groomers.
Pro Tip: Find Picnic Point on the trail map at Highlands for the ideal setting for a private champagne apres. The views can’t be beat! And let us know if you need a lesson on how to saber a bottle of bubbly with a ski.
Where to Eat
The only thing that can rival Aspen’s epic mountains is its dining options. Any calories that were burned on the mountain were quickly replaced at the area’s best restaurants:
- La Creperie du Village – Nestled in the center of Aspen, La Creperie du Village had us thinking that we were transported to the French Alps. Everyone enjoyed the bubbling cheese fondue and hearty entrees, perfectly paired with wine and delicate crepes. Food Network even went Live on Facebook while we were there to show off how to make the perfect crepe, straight from the crepe experts of course.
- Mi Chola – It was time for a fiesta when the group hit Aspen’s favorite Mexican restaurant for margaritas and tacos! The previous night’s fondue experience kicked off a weekend-long cheese obsession that was supported by Mi Chola’s creamy queso dip.
- Velvet Buck – Located in the upscale St. Regis hotel, Velvet Buck is a new addition to the Aspen dining scene. Paying homage to the 19th century Rocky Mountain lifestyle, the restaurant focuses on local ingredients and primal cooking techniques.
Pro Tip: Don’t miss the cheese-curling fun of the “Tete de Moine” and the mouth-watering s’mores skillet from the Velvet Buck.
Where to Drink
It’s not a full ski day until you’ve had apres, and our weekend featured the finest brews and spirits Aspen could offer.
- Woody Creek Distillers – Our group of media were treated to a behind-the-scenes tour of Woody Creek, a craft distillery based just outside of town in Basalt, CO. With a Moscow mule in hand, editors were taken through the intricate start-to-finish process of vodka, whiskey and gin production. Of course, straight-from-the-barrel tastings were necessary to fully understand the importance of aging!
- Hops Culture – Igloo Coolers was on-site to treat the group to a St. Patrick’s Day apres at Hops Culture, a gastropub in the heart of Aspen. After learning about the technical construction and full range of Igloo’s Legacy collection of growlers and tumblers, editors enjoyed hands-on product testing while sampling local beers.
This year’s Aspen Experience was one for the books and certainly a trip we will never forget. Drop us a line to let us know your favorite hot spots in Aspen, CO and maybe we will see you on the slopes in 2019.
Looking to see more from our Aspen Experience? Check out our Instagram or #CBCAspenExperience.