Domain authority is a value placed on your website by Google that illustrates how relevant your website is on the internet. Higher domain authority means you’ll rank higher in search results, bringing in more traffic to your website. While many marketers have a firm grasp of how to increase their website’s SEO through strategic content, often overlooked is the search weight public relations tactics can bring. In today’s digital world, nearly everything is tracked by Google!
How PR Can Increase Domain Authority
Most traditional PR tactics will help increase the volume of authoritative links to your website, which is the largest factor that impacts your domain authority score. Don’t overlook the double-benefits PR can bring to your brand!
Public relations tactics that go the extra mile for your business include:
1. Pitching for Coverage – Creating great content is not always enough to boost SEO. Try pitching yourgreatest stories to the press before posting them to your blog – you can always re-share them to your site at a later date! And, nothing could be better for your domain authority than a reputable site sharing a link back to your site. Whenever possible, push for coverage to include links back to your site and/or products.
2.Create byline articles to generate a link back to your website. PR is a powerful tool when developing exposure. If you can get great content published by the press, that’ll go much further in increasing your domain authority than a blog post.
3. Guest blogging. When trying to reach more niche audiences or tap into an influencer’s following, guest blogging can prove to be superior in driving both brand awareness and domain authority. Additionally, when you’re working with an industry peer, adding links back to your site is often much easier than doing so through traditional press. It’s a win-win for you both; your brand benefits from an increase in domain authority, and your partner benefits from providing their audience with useful content.
4. Increase your social media presence. Every brand should be on social media for the simple reason that it’s the number one destination users go to when looking for information on your company. But it won’t just help get more eyes on your business and boost conversions, it can increase your domain authority too. Especially on YouTube — Google owns YouTube so video content shared to this channel holds significant SEO weight.
5. Leverage authoritative figures and influencers to gain more traction. But try to gain exposure on their“shoulder” as organically as possible. Contacting them, cultivating a relationship, and trying to build a good rapport can go further than pursuing short-term arrangements. When influencers and authoritative figures within a niche give your brand attention, they will generally provide a link to your social media profile or your website. This increases your authority, especially if the source is credible within their niche.
6. Publish Press Releases. You control the content, so you should always include links back to your site to give your domain authority an easy lift. If your press release gains traction, you could find new backlinks on sites that syndicate your press release.
7. Video Interviews. Video by itself is a powerful medium. By getting yourself on a video interview (either by vlog, TV, or YouTube), you increase your exposure that Google may be able to detect. It can be tricky to control what links, if any, publishers will include but it can’t hurt to give them the option and provide them with relevant links.
8. Awards. Apply and earn recognition for your work. Not only does this showcase your fantastic team and achievements, but it usually generates a backlink to boot! If you’re sponsoring an award gala, make sure to negotiate a link to your site as part of your sponsorship package.
9. Speak at an Event –More often than not, when you present at an event such as a conference, webinar, or fireside chat the organization behind the event will include a link for people to learn more about you and your company. Those materials generally have links to your profile and/or website. If they don’t, ask for it! Remember, you’re helping them create a great experience by presenting. You have the power to influence how you are promoted. These events also have the added benefit of potential online buzz and conversations about your appearance, increasing your public exposure that Google may detect.
PR is an incredibly powerful tool to increase your exposure and accomplish your business goals. With a strategic approach, PR and digital marketing can work together to increase your exposure and authority both online and with the greater public.
Need help implementing a public relations or digital strategy for your organization? We can help.